Saturday, October 29, 2011

"My Friend"

So this past week I had "my friend" visit.  I know you ladies know what  I mean. Your mom may have taught you to refer to it as something else, but we all have a menstrual cycle. It's rare for a woman to talk about it to anyone but a close girlfriend.  Which is a shame, because it is a natural part of life.  It's not the most pleasant thing, but why is it so mortifying to leak and have menstrual blood on your pants?  I know it embarrasses me when I have a "spill".  In fact it happens to me almost every time I have a heavy period.  Not only is it embarrassing it is messy and sometimes hard to clean up.
Last Sunday I started my period.  Like a typical first day of my period I was cramping really bad.  I cramp so bad on the first day that I don't like to wear tampons.  Tampons seem to make my cramps worse, but on this day my flow was really heavy so I had to wear a tampon and a thick pad to church, for fear of a leak.  Well what do you know I had to walk out of church with my jacket tied around my waist. I soaked thru a pad and a tampon in less than two hours.  I came home thinking there has go to be something I can do about this.

Well, a few weeks ago my bestie posted a blog link about cloth menstrual pads.  My first thought was I couldn't do that.  Then another friend commented on her post about something called a Diva Cup.  Again, I thought I couldn't use one of those.  Then after the thousandth time of cleaning up a bloody mess and stain fighting my pretty skirt I decided to give them a try.  Sunday evening I did a lot of research, mostly on YouTube. I watched one lady who had several reviews on several different cloth menstrual pads or mama pads as some people call them. Anyway, I went to several of the websites  that were linked from her reviews.  Her favorite pad is Party In My Pants pads or PIMPS.  I decided to purchase this brand because they have a free sample called curious. You pay the shipping of $3.99 and they send you the panty liner for free.  I just got it today but and I am no longer on my period but I wore it today just to see how it feels to wear it.  Also, they are super cute! PIMPS wrote me a personal thank you for trying there brand and also sent a small square of organic dark chocolate.  I am also going to try to sew my own pads because now that I have my Diva Cup I will not need to wear thick pads.  Visit www.partypantspads.com  for more details.






There are other versions of the Diva Cup, but I chose to purchase it after reading some reviews.  The Diva Cup to me is the best thing since sliced bread.  A Diva Cup is a surgical silicone cup that fits in the vagina and catches your menstrual flow.  You can ware it for up to 12 hours,and you don't have to worry about toxic shock syndrome from wearing it. I got it in the mail while my period was still heavy this week.   LOL I have never been so excited to be on my period.  I got to use it for two day and never had any leakage.  Then second day I even wore the Diva Cup with out wearing a back up pad.  Visit www.divacup.com for more details.


I know what y'all are thinking.  Isn't that messy?  Well isn't it all messy?  Periods are just messy.  I usually get blood on my hands anyway,  so why not use the Diva Cup and save the money on buying a box or more of tampons every month.  Isn't it gross to wash those cloth menstrual pads?  Don't you usually have to wash blood out of your under ware at least once in your cycle?   I know this may not be for everyone, but I just thought I would share, because I am so glad that my friends were "brave" enough to share these products with everyone on Facebook.  I am also going to save a lot of money not throwing away pads and tampons, and that means a lot to this frugal mamma.

No comments:

Post a Comment